As the saying goes, “There’s an app for everything nowadays” *queue the eyeroll* and quite honestly, it’s true. However, despite the absurd amount of apps available for download, whether it be “therapeutic” pimple popping, adding a cat stamp to any picture, or just pressing a button that says “Yo”, not all things that have an app… have a helpful purpose. Fortunately, for the second year now, the California State Fair has invested time, money, and some sore fingers into providing Fair guests with an app that will serve you better than an Olympic volleyball player.
Now, if you’ve been to the CA State Fair before, you probably think one of two things… either you know everything there is to do at the Fair, where it’s at and when it’s going on, OR you know that there is so much to do at the Fair that sometimes it gets a little overwhelming just thinking about all the options. I, personally, used to think that I knew everything about the State Fair… until I started working here a few years ago. Then, I began to see the magnitude of all the different points of interest and I thought I would never get the hang of what’s happening year after year. My name is Joshua Giberson and I’m telling you, as if my name means anything, that the California State Fair app is incredibly helpful. So let me tell you why!
First things first, with it being the 50th Anniversary of the California State Fair at the Cal Expo grounds, we’ve got some really awesome new things happening. In addition to the new dinosaur exhibit (Expedition Dinosaur) with 16 moving animatronics, the Cal Expo Water Tower video show that lights up our iconic water tower at night, and the Wienerschnitzel Wienerdog Races that take place July 15th, we also have an interactive scavenger hunt! On our FREE mobile app you can play our new 50th Fair Hunt game in which you get to explore the Fairgrounds scavenging for iconic landmarks/exhibits, snapping selfies with each, and then receiving super shweet shwag when you capture all 9 selfies and show them to any of the 4 information booths!
If a scavenger hunt with free prizes wasn’t enough to convince you, how about some of these killer features:
- Fair Favorites home page that highlights our top picks and must-see/do events
- Detailed listings of all Fair points of interest for all 17 days of the Fair (Music, Entertainment, Food, Shopping, etc.)
- Incredibly helpful filters that allow you to view events by Type of activity, When it’s happening (both by day & by the hour)
- Ability to save interests to either My Schedule or Plan My Day
- A real-time What’s Hot section to see what’s trending and what other Fair guests are putting their stamp of approval on
- Categories to view Food Favorites & Best Beverages (with prices), Live Music, Where To Go, Shopping, and of course, a Map so you don’t get lost while “Living in the Moment” at this summer’s California State Fair
- An in-app weather report… because we know the weather is important
So how does the name Joshua Giberson sound now? ;-D Not too bad right haha? Friends, I have done my “fair share” (pun intended) of inputting information into our official California State Fair app and I can tell you that it is an incredible resource when planning your trip to the Fair. So don’t do me a favor, do yourself a favor and download the free CA State Fair mobile app, available on both the Apple and Google Play stores. It is, by far, the easiest and most convenient way to browse all the amazing things our 50th year at Cal Expo has to offer you.