by Mathew Craggs
Hot days and hot nights are the price we pay for California fun in the sun. With our Fair packing list and tips on how to be comfortable, you can indulge in all the Fair fun at full speed, without overheating.
Pack efficiently and use Fair lockers to lighten your load.
- Sun protection. Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Water bottles. Empty, reusable bottles can be refilled throughout the day.
- Comfortable shoes to traverse 350 acres of fun.
- Download the California State Fair app to pre-plan your exhibit and entertainment schedules, as well as pinpoint your favorite food vendors and treats.
- Food and drink. Small ice chests are allowed; no glass, aluminum or alcohol.
- Reusable bags for carrying sway, samples and carnival stuffed animals.
- Buy a Season Pass online to skip the ticketing lines each of the 17 days.
- A light coat in case the night brings a breeze off the cool river.
- Lastly, pack your friends and family in the car. The more, the merrier – and the more to help you carry everything.
Balance fun in the sun with air-conditioned exhibits and shopping
- Cool off with water misters at the Coca-Cola Food Promenade, Camp Smokey, and the Save Mart Supermarkets Wine County.
- Mommy Lounges – offering a quiet, air-conditioned place to nurse – are located in the Dream Big exhibit and in the center of the California Buildings.
- Aching feet and sore back? Take a break and let the experts at So Relax California massage your cares away in Building D and along the upstairs walkway between Buildings A & B.
- Take advantage of expanded shade and seating areas throughout the Fair, including the Coca-Cola Food Promenade.
- Too much sun? Head inside, where air-conditioned exhibits, kitchen demos and shopping await.
- Free public Wi-Fi in the California Buildings and charging stations throughout the Fairgrounds keep you posting, liking and sharing the best of California.
- Drink plenty of water during the day, or cool down with a wine slushie at the Save Mart Supermarkets Wine Country.
- Sky Ride and Carnival wristbands save time and money.
- The Fair’s First-Aid Station, near the main entrance, is prepared to get you feeling better, stat!